For Commission (Unit 2) I created a questionnaire for people to answer about logos and names of Record companies that already exist. I have also mentioned names that I have come up with to see what their thoughts and opinions are on them.
These are the questions that were in it:
1. What do each of these logos make you think of and why? Sub Pop, Factory Records, Island, Trash Aesthetics?
2. Which record label do you like best and why?
3. What do these logos ake you think of?
4. What aspects of logos do you remember the most?
5. Do Black & White or Colour logos attract your attention the easiest/quickest?
6. Does the name of the brand have to be related to what the product is?
7. If the target audience is 18-28 year olds what do you think the most important part is to include?
8. I have come up with come names for the company. Do you think that the names "Unmarked" and "on track" are suitable names for a record company?
9. Are there any names you can think of that are appropriate for an online record label?
I am going to print out 10 if the questionnaires and go around college and ask people to fill them out. College is a good place for this questionnaire as the students are the same age/around the same age as the target audience (18-28 year olds).
The feedback I got from the questionnaire was similar to one another.
1. Sub Pop = Top of the Pops, Chart Music, Subway (Sub), Top of the Pops, Television Program, Music Company, Black and White contrast, Contrast, Boldness, simple, Pop - because it says innit, Subway, Simple.
Factory Records = Urban Music, Street, Grime, Pollution (Factory), Factory - Work place - in routine, A factory which is in use, Factory Records - makes music/CDs, Producing things like fuel, Name says it all vector goes in with theme of factory, Smoking a fag - turn it on its side - guy smoking with 2 noses, Oil Vetinary - the shape is very industrial yet simple and bold.
Island = Desert Island - the shape of a palm tree is very simple yet effective, Reggae - routs and Jamaican island, Record mainly - I already know - I like the vectors - fits the theme, freedom - a desolate island, holiday destination, looks like a tropical island because of the palm tree, a tropical island - somewhere cut off and alone, Desert Island (Palm tree), Holiday cheese because you see palm trees when your on holiday.
Trash Aesthetics = Oil Label - the type reminds me of an American corporation, a used car dealerships, something you would see on/at a gas station, clothing, old fashioned tincan label, clothes label, this looks like a car logo because of the font and layout, a sports team because of the stripes, Rubbish (Trash), Bands/Groups.
2. sub pop because people can recognize it, Island - Trees are fun, Island - bold and vectors are powerful - font is simple and there's contrast, Island - its simple and effective, Island because it looks relaxing, i like the island logo the best because it stands out more to me and looks better, Trash Aethetics because to me its the one that stands out, Island - Stands out and simple, Sub Pop because i enjoy chart music and Top of the Pops its also bold and eyes catching.
3. Industrial corporation/American, record labels, I need a break, Tv programmes, a factory in use, a tropical island, a car logo, sports teams, holidays, work, TV music shows.
4. the picture, the picture, the picture - the colours, the colours, the text/name, the picture, the picture, the pictures - the colours, the text/name.
5. colour logos - catches my eye, no, depends - on a magazine yellow is the first to catch the eye, colour logos, black and white, colour, colour - catch the eye, yes.
6. no, no, depends - Ferrari is a car well known name is completely different, not necessarily, no, no not necessarily, not always, no but helps to remember, possibly.
7. information about a product, drugs, depends on the genre, colour, big font, quick to read, the catchy name, pictures, the colours, pic, pictures.
8. yes "unmarked", theyre alright, yes "ontrack", yes, yes, yes they are good, yes, yes, yes "ontrack" - but unmarked sounds as if no one knows about it.
9. "Grunge core", "M.F.T.M" - music for the mind, "Epic Labels", "online records", "www.records", "sonic sound", "shockwave", "spin".
The name that they liked the best is "OnTrack"...this way my favourite out of the 2 aswell.They thought that the picture was the most important part of a logo and a logo should be colour to be more eye catching.They also thought that the logo should be simple and easy to remember to make it eye catching and rememberable.